AND IN THE
THERE was sausage sandwich eating, husband calling, air guitar and inevitably the crowning of Australia’s Biggest Bogan – all in the name of charity and for Currajong Disability Services.
Around 500 people braved the cold conditions across numerous venues throughout three shires last Friday and Saturday and the entertainment was top notch featuring local bands Rawson Road, the Noll Brothers and Amanda G as well as well-known performers Hype Duo, Chris Franklin and Benny Bogan among many others.
For Currajong Disability Services Communications and Marketing Manager Dane Millerd the event was a huge success for a first attempt.
“There were no major incidents and the police have complimented all concerned on how well the event was run,” said Dane.
“So many people have makde this possible despite having no connection to Currajong.
“The generosity of spirit of people who came here from all over Australia is humbling,” he said.
Visitors came from as far away as Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia for the first edition of Australia’s Biggest Bogan Festival and all have said they’ll be back to support it again next year.
“I have to make a special mention to a number of people including Brad Gibson and Luke Acheson for organising this as well as Tara Shaw, Cina Horan and Benjamin Parslow for their tireless efforts all in the name of charity,” said Dane.
“Big thanks to Lara and Nigel from Food Fix and Bogan Gate Beef Jerky for their auction of their one-of-a-kind hoodie and beef jerky donation of $200 to Currajong as well as Deb Martin who bought the bogan mobile for $520 for Currajong too.
“Lastly, I’d like to thank all volunteers, staff, sponsors and punters however a special mention must be made to Benny Bogan who donated his entire appearance fee back to Currajong – what a legend!”
With the count from the weekend still underway, Currajong will also stand to benefit from the donations of a number of venues as well as the returns from the cash for cans through the return and earn scheme.
“It’s all very positive stuff and we can’t wait til next year,” said MC and organiser Luke Acheson.
“People are already planning their trip next year.
“It is truly incredible how people from far and wide have rallied together to help out a local charity.”
Until next year bogans!
AUSTRALIA’S BIGGEST BOGAN
FESTIVAL HONOUR ROLL
- Bunsters Hot Sauce and Blue Sky Australia’s Biggest Bogan – Ryan Leigh “Bogan” Edwards
- Buttabeef and Central Butchery Sausage Sandwich Eating Champion – Martin Carney (he ate 25 sausage sandwiches for Currajong)
- Adam Molloy Carpentry Best Dad Bod – Tim Acheson
- Bogan Gate Beef Jerky and Food Fix Worst Tatt – Jo Maloney
- Johnson’s Bakery “Show Us Your Buns!” Shortest Stubbie Shorts – Benjamin Parslow
- Byrnes Clothing Biggest Dazza – David Gloomper aka Poita
- Byrne Clothing Biggest Shazza – Carolyn Harrison
- JJ Electrical Best Mullet – Ryan Leigh “Bogan” Edwards
- Steele Tech Worst Smile – Sharon “Shazza” Piggott
- Publicans Challenge Euchre – Forster and Coral Downey
- Publicans Challenge Darts – Brent Poidevin
- Publicans Challenge Kelly Pool – Mitch Braybon
- Coffe Fix by Larz Wife Calling – Brent Poidevin
- Acheson’s Husband Calling – Sharon “Shazza” Piggott
- Darren Cowan Mobile Welding Air Guitar Champs – Naomi Clarke
- Bunsters Bogans n Beers Hot Chip Challenge – David Fishy Taylor
- Vantage NSW Khe Sahn Karaoke – Bec Price
- Parkes Landscape Aussie Bronze Drop – Murray ‘Big Red’ Dunn – (Some events such as Best Bush Poet never ran due to lack of time or entrants)
OTHER SPONSORS – ACCESS LEARNING, COATES HIRE, CONSTABLE HAY SUPPLIES, LOCAL LEGENDS ENTERTAINMENT, BOGANS N BEERS, OZFLIX, FORBES SERVICES CLUB, TRUNDLE HOTEL, WIRADJURI CORP, PROGRESS PRINTING, FAIRFAX MEDIA, FORBES LIVESTOCK, WONDER LOANS, STAR HOTEL, CONDOBOLIN HOTEL, POST OFFICE HOTEL, CAMBRIDGE HOTEL, RAILWAY HOTEL BOGAN GATE AND ALLURE ON MAIN.
- Debbie Martin bought the Bogan Mobile at the auction for $520 for Currajong.
- Lara Tulaga and Nigel Constable auctioned a Bogan Gate Beef Jerky hoodie for $200 for Currajong.
- Each venue to donate minimum $250 to Currajong – eg. Cambridge Hotel, Post Officer Hotel, Railway Hotel Bogan Gate and Forbes Services Club.
- 0 DUI’s, 0 RDT’s, 0 fights or vehicle incidents and only 2 people were asked to leave. The police said it was a well-run and fantastic event especially given the stigma with the word bogan and they recognised it was for a good cause. Numbers for the whole weekend were around 500 +